As a result of its strategic and comprehensive approach to public relations, Nuffer, Smith, Tucker was recently recognized with seven honors at the 2019 Edward L. Bernays Mark of Excellence Awards Ceremony: A Black & White Affair on Nov. 7.
The annual event hosted by the Public Relations Society of America San Diego/Imperial Counties Chapter, celebrates the best public relations campaigns and individuals in the region. The awards recognize complete public relations programs and tactics that incorporate the highest standards of research, planning, creativity, technical excellence and evaluation.
This year, the local PRSA chapter observed a major milestone – the 60th anniversary of its commencement. In celebration of this milestone the chapter founded the online Otto Bos Hall of Fame award recognizing leaders with significant accomplishments in the public relations field in the region.
NST was honored to take home the following seven awards:
- Silver Award of Excellence, Integrated Communications – NST was honored for its work on behalf of the Port of San Diego and the Discussion Draft of the Port Master Plan Update, which will set a blueprint for the next 50 years of baywide planning and development. NST developed an integrated communications plan to engage residents throughout San Diego County and invite them to review the Discussion Draft and provide written comment during a 90-day public review period. The outreach plan included a series of community discussion events across the county, as well as comprehensive paid print and digital advertising, social media marketing and earned media.
- Silver Award of Merit, Community Relations – Nonprofit/Government/Association – We were also recognized for our community outreach efforts for the Port and its Chula Vista Bayfront Parks project. NST developed and implemented an outreach plan to engage Chula Vista residents and waterfront stakeholders in a transparent and accessible outreach process. The plan helped provide the Port and City with sufficient feedback and direction to guide the design process of two public parks with improved recreational access and experiences along the waterfront in Chula Vista.
- Bronze Award of Best of Show, Collateral and Bronze Award of Excellence, Collateral – NST’s work with Citrus Pest and Disease Prevention Program’s collateral included the design and distribution of more than 40,000 pieces of collateral about a deadly citrus tree disease called Huanglongbing that is threatening California’s citrus trees. Since detections of the disease are at an all-time high, it is a critical time for residents in high-risk areas to stay informed on how they can prevent its spread to their beloved backyard citrus trees.
- Bronze Award of Excellence, Websites External – NST redesigned and rebuilt CitrusInsider.org, a niche website that supplies California’s citrus industry with the resources and information necessary for combatting a dangerous pest and deadly citrus tree disease. NST’s work resulted in more than a 100% increase in visits and pageviews after the launch of the new site compared to the six months prior.
- Bronze Award of Merit, Media Relations: Nonprofit – NST was recognized for our work planning and executing a media relations strategy for Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego’s 10th annual Red Shoe Day fundraiser. One of the tactics NST employed was using a unique safety angle to share event details with broadcast traffic and weather reporters, and asking them to alert drivers to be aware of volunteers collecting donations during the morning commute. The successful strategy helped NST to secure 57 media placements and resulted in more than 82,000 impressions.
- Bronze Award of Merit, Publications – The 2019 Food Foresight Trends Report, a proprietary trends intelligence system developed by NST in partnership with UC Davis, was recognized for the issues and trends affecting the agri-food chain. Food Foresight clients, who represent top agricultural crops and entities nationwide, use the report to help prevent or sidestep potential threats or accelerate opportunities.
Our agency is honored to be recognized for the work put forth this year and is proud of our team for its dedicated efforts on behalf of our clients. We’d like to congratulate all of the 2019 Bernays award winners for making their mark on the public relations industry.
To learn more about the results of our work, visit: nstpr.com/results/