I’m one of the many commuters who drives an hour each morning to get to work. While most people think I’m crazy for making that commute, I actually enjoy it because it allows me to completely unwind before I get home and plan out my day before I get into the office.
Since I’m always on the go, the commute also allows me the luxury of listening to audiobooks or podcasts that I enjoy for business and/or pleasure. With two active teens at home, it’s truly the only way I have time to enjoy a book these days.
I have to admit, I wasn’t a big podcast listener until I got hooked on Serial, a murder investigation podcast that hooked millions of other people as well. Pew Research reported that the number of people who have listened to a podcast nearly doubled from 2008 (9 percent) to 2015 (17 percent).
While there are currently many great podcasts on various topics of interest, here are some that I think communicators should check out:
- Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips—This podcast is a friendly guide to the world of grammar, punctuation, usage and fun developments in the English language.
- Social Media Marketing—Social Media Examiner’s Michael Stelzner helps your business navigate the social jungle with success stories and expert interviews from leading social media marketing pros. Discover how successful businesses employ social media, learn new strategies and tactics, and gain actionable tips to improve your social media marketing.
- On the Media—Media relations are a big part of PR pros’ daily lives. Knowing the current environment for reporters, broadcasters, editors and publishers can make a big difference in making those efforts successful.
- Social Pros —This podcast focuses on real people doing real work in social media. You get the inside stories and behind-the-scenes knowledge about how companies operate and measure their social media programs.
- Amplify: Social Media and Blogging—A hip and energetic show about blogging, social media and tech headlines.
- For Immediate Release—This is a network that includes several podcasts geared toward communicators. Just shift through podcasts by PR and social media pros to find episodes on crisis or internal communications, tech trends and more.
- A Day with Words— Delve into the origin of words, meaning behind phrases and history of why people say things differently in various regions (pop, soda, coke—which do you say?). It’s “a show about language and how you use it” that’s recorded right here in San Diego with Grant Barrett and Martha Barnette.
Do you have a favorite podcast that I missed? Please let me know on the NST Facebook page.